At BC Assessment, we value our relationships through engagement and open communication with the general public, the media, governments, and our many partners. We provide a variety of useful resources to assist with media coverage and external communications related to BC Assessment.
Governed by a Board of Directors appointed by the provincial government and managed by an Executive team, BC Assessment is a Crown corporation that creates uniform assessments and trusted property information. The province's annual property assessments are the foundation for providing more than $8 billion in revenue in support of local governments. This is crucial to financing the important community services that we rely on every day including schools, hospitals, emergency services, parks & recreation, libraries, infrastructure and roads.
BC Assessment by the numbers:
- Total number of 2020 properties in B.C. is 2,091,135, an approximate 1% increase from 2019.
- Total value of all real estate on the 2020 Assessment Roll is $1.94 trillion, a decrease of nearly -2.5% from 2019.
- Total amount of 2020 'non-market change', including new construction and development is approximately $27.1 billion, a decrease of almost -8.63% from the 2019 revised roll of $29.6 billion.
- Approximately 88% of all B.C. properties are classified with some residential
(Class 1) component.
- Highest assessed single residential property for 2020 is valued at $64.9 million, located in Vancouver.
- Over 98% of property owners typically accept their property assessment without proceeding to a formal, independent review of their assessment.
BC Assessment key dates:
- July 1 is the uniform date that actual (market) value of all properties is determined for the purpose of property assessments.
- Annual assessments based on physical condition and permitted use (zoning) as of October 31.
- Annual assessment notices are mailed to property owners on December 31, arriving early January.
- January 31 is the deadline to file a formal appeal of annual property assessments.
Learn more about BC Assessment.
BC Assessment brochure
Our About BC Assessment brochure provides an overview of our mandate, products and services, assessment explanations and common myths, and key dates.
Access all of our Corporate Reports
For official use by the media, publications, conferences and external events, various versions and formats of BC Assessment official logo.
High Resolution EPS format.
Screen Redolution jpg format.
BC Assessment videos
Our YouTube channel provides a variety of brief assessment videos available for use through social media sharing and for the media, online publications, conferences and external events.
These videos include such topics as:
How BC Assessment Assesses Properties
British Columbia Property Assessments by Region
What to do When You Receive Your Assessment Notice